Dear Lifeguard Members,
Training and Development funds are available in accordance with Appendix J of our Collective Agreement.
The Application form can be found here: https://form.jotform.com/70404687113250
The Policy is below:
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT FUND
For Members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 3338 in Temporary Appointments at Simon Fraser University (SFU), effective April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2019 (see Appendix J)
- GENERAL STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES:
The Training and Development fund shall help members of CUPE Local 3338 in temporary appointments acquire skills and training that will increase their opportunities for permanent employment and shall provide bursaries to member-lifeguards based on the number of hours they work annually.
- Member –a member in good standing of CUPE Local 3338 in a non-continuing, temporary position at SFU
- Job Related Course – A course (course, seminar, workshops or conference) that adds value to a member’s performance of his/her duties and responsibilities for his/her current or a future position at the University.
- Job Specific Course – A course that is required in order to perform a specific task in the member’s current position. For example, an EXCEL course for a member in a position that now requires the use of EXCEL spreadsheets.
- Union –CUPE Local 3338
- Year –refers to the fiscal period April 1 to March 31.
The member will identify potential opportunities and apply to the Union for funding. The member will register for such an opportunity, pay registration fees, and submit an application form, including all supporting documentation (such as receipts and course description), for reimbursement by the Union. It is understood that lifeguards are not required to seek prior approval for courses required by the employer.
Members working in the position of Lifeguard will provide proof of hours worked to CUPE Local 3338 on or before March 31st of each year so that the amount of the bursary to be paid to those members may be calculated.
The Union will process applications and reimburse the member within 30 days of receipt of a properly completed application.
- ELIGIBILITY AND PROCEDURAL REQUIREMENTS
- The member must be a member in good standing and an employee of SFU at the time of the commencement of the Training and Development funding course.
- The maximum available to a member is $450.00 per fiscal year.
- A member may attend a Job Related Course with costs greater than the maximum annual amount allowed under the Training and Development Fund; however, any excess costs must be borne by the member.
- If there are any unspent funds left in the annual amount allocated to the Training and Development Fund as at March 31st then an additional amount may be equitably reimbursed to the members based upon the number of requests and the amount unspent.
- There shall be no carry over of any unused portion of a member’s yearly maximum entitlement to the following fiscal year.
- A member is required to attend and participate in a Job Related Course for which they have registered unless the member has an acceptable reason for withdrawal. Acceptable reasons include departmental operational requirements and circumstances which result in any of the leaves from work which are provided under the terms of the collective agreement. An employee may request approval to withdraw for another reason, but the granting of the request will be at the discretion of the Union. A member withdrawing from a Job Related Course is required to give as much notice as possible to the Union.
- Any cancellation fee or other related cost of withdrawal will be paid by the member.
- The Training and Development Fund may cover membership or association fees and/or conference fees.
- The operational requirements of the member’s department must be considered when the member is preparing and applying for funding.
- NON-TAXABLE BENEFIT
- Each recipient member is responsible for determining the tax implications of any funding they are awarded from the Training and Development Fund and for paying any taxes owed as the result of funding they receive from the Training and Development Fund.
Questions of interpretation or administration this fund or its procedures shall be referred to the Union which shall have sole and final authority in the interpretation and administration of the Training and Development Fund.